Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fall is confusing...

After spending most of my life in Chicago, I recently relocated to the Mid-Atlantic which for a Chicagoan is unquestionably the south. One block away from my home is a confederate solider memorial from the War Between The States. Therefore, I need not explain more on that topic.

While, I do feel on a daily basis more settled into my new city; the seasons remain to be very perplexing. Leaves are falling all around, daylight is shorter and there are more overcast days than a few weeks ago. Yet, the temperature is at times still in the 80s/90s and humidity is still high.

It is really a mind teaser for a Midwesterner. Leaves falling + shorter days = jeans and a long sleeved tee. Oh, not so fast my emancipation supporting resident! It is still HOT, like middle of summer Chicago HOT! For jeez, it is football season and I should be cooking up some Chili not sipping white wine and munching on a melon & prosciutto salad. Give me my season back!

The other fall day, I walked to the Metro just a few short blocks away. Again, overcast and leaves a falling I opted for the jeans and long sleeve polo. Arriving at the station, dripping of sweat and cotton mouth I came to one conclusion...I was dying, right there, on the spot, no questions asked. Then, I caught the temperature posted on the bank sign....87 degrees....in late September!!

The lesson learned here is that I'm going to LOVE the mild winters!